Friday, February 1, 2013

Counting My Blessings through Recovery

       Recovery from this concussion has taught me nothing but positive growth. During the month of January my psyche has journeyed everywhere but clear.
       Accidents and circumstances happen. How we respond to these is what causes pain and confusion. Trusting God and the professionalism of the the therapist initiates our responses and experiences. Only then can we find freedom from our fear of pain and confusion.
       I have been attending three types of therapy for my concussion...physical (for the vertigo), occupational, and speech and language. Six to ten hours a week at therapy, homework and exercises at home, and a loving husband who drives me to every session.
       As for the vertigo, my therapist discovered I have Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). Through a certain maneuver of my head, the therapist repositions the crystals in my inner left ear. I follow the directions for the next five days in order to retain the crystals where they belong.
The vertigo has almost extinguished.
       Speech and language on the other hand is stressful on the brain. Loss of words come when the brain tires. Comprehension is minimal. A casual conversation is modified to a slow pace discussion and expressions. I can understand conversations but only comprehend when spoken slowly. When I struggle with finding the "word" I'm looking for I either draw it, use the synonyms on the web or say "I'm looking for the opposite word of ..." My family is patient and we end up laughing because at times it's like playing Charades.
       Occupational therapy has discovered my right eye has been affected by the concussion and makes it difficult to draw without getting dizzy. We are hoping it's temporary but until then I'm using an eye patch. I was elated to be drawing again!!! It has taken more time and focus but I feel very blessed to be drawing again!
       I apologize for not keeping up with the blogging but between therapy and resting (napping) my brain I had nothing left remaining. I thank you all for phone calls, e-mails, cards, thoughts and especially prayers!
       I'm hoping to post a few pics of my homemade eye patches created by some special people soon!

As always thank you for reading and God bless!
      

1 comment:

Gary Keimig said...

God bless you Dianna and my prayer is for speedy recovery for you. Are you able to do any art work? Is or would that be therapy?